AutoRent Hertz Terms and Conditions
Valid Until further notice
AutoRent Hertz Branches are located at Hobart Airport, Launceston Airport and Devonport Airport, City and Ferry.
Branch Opening Hours
(allow 1 hour for collection)
Devonport Airport, City & Ferry
|Monday to Sunday||8:30am - 4:45pm|
Minimum Rental Period
The minimum hire for all rentals is 5 calendar days. (except for the period 26.12 – 15.1 where it is 6 days.
Minimum Hire from Devonport is 7 days
Rates are per 24 hours: on the last day, there is an allowance of 59 minutes grace, after which another full day’s rental charge will apply.
For durations of 12 days and over, a Bonus 2 Free Days will apply.
One Way Rentals
One Way Rentals are permitted between all depot locations.
For rentals commencing or finishing at Devonport City a Repositioning Fee of $160.00 will apply.
For rentals commencing at Hobart and finishing at Launceston, a Repositioning Fee of $75.00 will apply.
For rentals commencing at Launceston and finishing at Hobart, a Repositioning Fee of $75.00 will apply
The rates include the following:
- Unlimited Kilometres (150kms per day for CamperWagon - extra kms 30 cents each)
- Vehicle Insurance - Standard Liability
- Third Party Property Cover
- Third Party Injury Liability Cover
- Hobart Airport Location Fee
- Launceston Airport Location Fee
- Kitchen Equipment
- 10% GST (Goods & Services Tax)
Standard Liability for Damage
All AutoRent Hertz Campers vehicles come with comprehensive insurance cover. A standard liability of AU$5,000 applies in the event of any damage to either our vehicle or Third Party Property. Liability applies to all rentals as specified in the Rental Agreement. This means that regardless of fault, all damage up to the limit of the liability amount is the renters responsibility. This includes any tyre, windscreen or headlight damage and any other internal or external damage not attributable to fair wear and tear, such as returning the vehicle in an abnormally dirty condition (including hair, odour and other evidence of animals).
In addition to the standard liability there is an additional AU$4,900 liability fee ($9,900 total) if an accident occurs on an unsealed road or overhead damage occurs by failing to clear low objects. This is not able to be reduced.
There is a higher liability on unsealed roads and for overhead damage
- Unsealed Roads - Regardless of fault, if there's an accident, damage or loss on an unsealed road,the renters liability will be up to a maximum of AU$9,900. If they reduce their sealed road liability to $0, then a maximum liability of $9900 will remain for loss/damage/accidents on unsealed roads.
- Overhead Damage - Regardless of fault, the renter remains liable up to a maximum of AU$9,900 where there overhead damage is incurred on a sealed or an unsealed road. Their liability for overhead damage or damage on unsealed roads remains, even if their sealed road liability has been reduced to $0.
Underbody damage and damage caused by water immersion are NOT covered by insurance and remain the renters responsibility.
Liability Reduction Options (LRO)
AutoRent Hertz offer the following Liability Reduction Options:
Liability Reduction Option 1
The renter has the option of paying an extra AU$25 per day, at the start of the rental, to reduce the vehicle loss/damage liability from $5,000 to $2,500.
Liability Reduction Option 2
Alternatively, the renter will have the option of paying AU$40 per day, (capped at 14 days per 30 day rental) at the start of the rental, to reduce the vehicle loss/damage liability from $5,000 to $0 includes tyre & windscreen damage buyout (Not side or rear glass).
Stress Free Package
$52 per day (capped at 14 days per 30 day rental) Includes Liability Reduction Option 2 plus the following sundry items as requested, but limited to the total and mix of persons travelling, Personal Kits, Child/Baby seats, GPS, Table, Iron and chairs.
Security Deposit or Bond
At the start of the rental a $200 bond will be obtained on the renters credit card equivalent to the estimated cost of the rental (including any liability reduction options accepted). The renter will need to make sure there are sufficient funds in their account to allow this.
Loss or Replacement of Keys
The renter remains responsible for the cost of replacing lost vehicle keys and remote door opening devices or recovering keys locked in the vehicle (and for any towage involved as a result of keys being lost or inaccessible). This extra cost can range from AU$165-$1,100 (including GST) depending on the vehicle type. These charges are over and above any liability reduction option.
Payment for fuel supplied at the start, and used during the course ot the rental, remains the renters responsibility
A pre-hire gas refill charge of $30 is payable on collection of the vehicle (a charge of $5 applies to the Camper Wagon for the Butane Gas bottles). The renter is not required to re-fill prior to return.
Taxes & Levies
The renter will be liable for any port/airport turnover fees that may be applicable or introduced, where not indicated in the rates.
Credit Card Surcharge
There is a 2.75% surcharge when paying with a Diners Club or Amex card but there are NO fees when payment is made with a Mastercard or Visa Card.
Credit Card Surcharge -Discovery Rentals
Credit card fees are payable when using Visa, Mastercard or AMEX as these are subject to change Find out the current rates for your card here
Fines & Infringements
The hirer is liable for all fines and penalties during the hire period. An administration fee may apply in addition to any official fines.
Extras Available for Hire
Extras are to be prebooked and are payable at pick up.
- Extra Drivers Fees - AU$3 per day for each additional driver
- Baby / Booster Seats - AU$16.50 per day (maximum AU$66 per rental)
- Iron - AU$1 per day (maximum AU$10 per rental)
- Outdoor Chair - AU$2 per day (maximum AU$18 per rental)
- Outdoor Table - AU$1 per day (maximum AU$10 per rental)
- Bedding Kits* - AU$38 per person per rental
- Neverlost GPS - AU$7 (maximum $70 per rental)
- Mountain Bike** - $13 per day (maximum $90 per rental)
- Bike Rack - $50 per rental if bringing own bikes (free if hiring bikes)
- External Awning - $7 per day (maximum $50 per rental) Available for 3 berth hitop & 2-4 berth Motorhome Only
* Bedding kits include 1 towel, pillow, pillowcase, sleeping bag/doona, bed sheet. These are supplied free of charge to infants under 3 years old.
** A quality Mountain Bike, suitable for all adults including helmet, pump, repair kit, lock, water bottle holder and bike rack for the vehicle; a maximum of 2 bikes can be hired. (not available on the 2 Berth UMH)
The minimum age for hire is 21 years old, and maximum 75 years old. Each jurisdiction legislates an age at which drivers must be tested yearly. For renters over 75 at the time of the rental, a Doctors Certificate is to be presented, certifying that the renter is fit to drive.
Drivers Licence Requirements
The vehicles may only be driven by renters who have held a current licence for at least 3 years.
A valid current national standard drivers licence held for 3 years is required. International drivers licences that are not in English need to be presented in conjunction with an official translation or valid international drivers permit (IDP).
Provisional Licenses are not accepted.
International Drivers please make sure your licence allows you to drive the 2-4 Berth Camper Van & Premium Motorhome
Some international licences do not meet the weight requirements to drive these as the Kerb weight is 3,350kg and GVM is 4,400kg. Please be mindful of this to safeguard against disappointment upon pick up.
The vehicle is permitted to be used on gazetted roads only. It is prohibited to use the vehicle off road, such as cross-country, on bush tracks or on beaches. Renters who ignore this prohibition will be liable for ALL damage to the vehicle and will not be provided with a replacement vehicle.
Even on gazetted roads, there is a higher liability for damage caused on unsealed surfaces (including the unsealed sections of roads which are normally sealed).
Most of Tasmania's main roads are sealed, but minor roads can be either unsealed and rough with loose gravel and soft edges or Narrow and winding with poor visibility for on-coming traffic. Some appear to be a short-cut to the main road, but inevitably they do not save time as they are rougher and require slower speeds. Even though they are gazetted we advise you avoid these roads if at all possible.
The following roads restricted for use:
- The unsealed roads to the south and west of the Great Lake. Alternative Route renters should use the sealed highways to the east.
- The unsealed roads connecting Smithton and Zeehan
- On the west coast, any further south than the Arthur River township; and
- inland, any further south than where the Kanunnah Bridge crosses the Arthur River. Alternative Route is the Waratah Highway via Somerset, or the Hampshire Road via Burnie.
- The back roads between Orford and Copping on the east coast. Alternative Route, renters should use the highway via Sorell.
- The unsealed C827 between Nunamara and Nabowla in the north-east. Alternative Route, renters should use the A3 or B81.
- The unsealed roads on Bruny Island. Alternative Route Renters should always keep to sealed roads.
- There are also Mountain-top roads which are unsuitable when icy or slushy e.g The Ben Lomond Road above the bottom of Jacobs Ladder. Alternative Route, renters should use the public transport provided during the ski season. (Jacobs Ladder is not suitable at any time for Motorhomes)
Cancellation & Amendments
In the case of cancelling your reservation,
- FREE cancellation on all bookings up to 45 days prior to pick-up*
- 44 - 30 days from pick up - The deposit is Non Refundable. In addition there is a $100 cancellation fee.
- 7-30 days from pick up - The deposit is Non Refundable. In addition there is a $200 cancellation fee.
- Under 7 days from pick up - The deposit is Non Refundable. Plus 50% of rental costs
- On day of pick up or no show - 100% of rental costs
* Valid for new bookings from 1st April 2016
Amendments are charged at a rate of AU$50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. No refund will be given on the initial deposit paid.
If an amendment is made to the rental whereby the length of hire is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit amount nor can it be transferred to the balance payable on pick up. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit is non transferable.
Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
Please note that amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Frequent Flyer Points
Frequent Flyer Points are not available on these rates.
All rentals are subject to the terms and conditions of the rental agreement. AutoRent Hertz reserves the right to refuse provision of a vehicle if there is doubt that the renter will safely and properly use it.
AutoRent Hertz also reserves the right to refuse provision of a replacement vehicle in the event of an accident - no refund of the unused days.
Rates and conditions may be subject to change. While featuring the same facilities, some campers may have different layouts to those shown. All measurements, volumes, fuel consumption etc are approximate. The information provided on the website is subject to change without notice.