Maui Terms and Conditions
This document contains a summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full detailed Conditions refer to the Rental Agreement on pick-up.
Vehicles can be collected and returned to the following branches:
- Adelaide, Alice Springs, Brisbane, Broome, Cairns, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
Branch Opening Hours
(allow 1 hour for collection)
1 May - 31 October
8:00am - 4:00pm
1 November - 30 November
1 April - 30 April
8:00am - 4:00pm
1 December - 31 March
|Cairns||1 November - 30 April||Mon-Sat
8:00am - 4:00pm
|Brisbane||1 March - 30 September||Mon-Sun
8:00am - 4:00pm
|Brisbane||1 October - 28 February||
|1 May - 31 August||
|1 September - 30 April||Mon-Sun
8.00am - 4:00pm
|Hobart||1 September - 30 June||Mon-Sun
8.00am - 4:00pm
Maui requests that clients collecting or returning their vehicle to be in the office by 1530 hours.
1 June - 31 August
Alice Springs, Darwin & Broome
1 Dec - 31 March
Christmas Day, 25th Dec
Australia Day Holiday 26th Jan
Vehicle Pick-Ups and Drop-Offs:
Customers picking up or dropping off vehicle must be at the branch by 3:30pm.
$100 Public Holiday Surcharge
Will apply to all rentals picking up or dropping off on;
19th April - Good Friday
22nd April - Easter Monday
25th April - Anzac Day
26th December -Boxing Day
1st January - New Years Day
6th May - May Day (applies to Alice Springs & Darwin branches only)
- Labour Day (applies to Brisbane and Cairns branches only)
3th June - Western Australia Day (applies to Broome & Perth branches only)
10th June - Queen’s Birthday (applies Adelaide, Alice Springs, Darwin, Melbourne & Sydney branches only)
5th July - Alice Springs Show Day (applies Alice Springs branch only)
26th July - Darwin Show Day (applies to Darwin branch only)
5th August - Picnic Day (applies to Alice Springs & Darwin branches only)
- Bank Holiday (applies to Sydney branch only)
14th August - Royal Queensland Show (applies to Brisbane branch only)
30th September - Queen’s Birthday (applies to Broome & Perth branches only)
7th October - Labour Day (applies to Adelaide & Sydney branches only)
- Queen’s Birthday (applies to Brisbane & Cairns branches only)
5th November - Melbourne Cup (applies to Melbourne branch only)
10th February 2019 - Royal Hobart Regatta (applies to Hobart branch only)
2nd March 2019 - Labour Day (applies to Perth branch only)
9th March 2019 - Adelaide Cup (applies to Adelaide branch only)
- Labour Day (applies to Melbourne branch only)
- 8 Hours Day (applies to Hobart branch only)
Included in Standard Daily Rate
- Unlimited Kilometres
- Vehicle Insurance - Standard Liability
- 10% GST (Goods & Services Tax)*
- 3% Administration Fee*
- Kitchen Equipment*
- Linen & Bedding
- General Equipment*
- In camper tablet with GPS, CamperHelp and more
- Valet Service* (for hires 21+ days)
- 24 Hour Roadside Assistance
- Maps & Campground Guides
- Tourist Information & Discount Booklet
- 10% off Powered sites at all BIG4 parks
*Goods & Services Tax (GST)
GST is an Australian Federal Government imposed tax. GST is included in all Maui rates and is currently 10%. Maui reserves the right to amend GST upon Government intervention.
A surcharge of 3% of the total cost will be levied to cover state government taxes, duties, vehicle registration recovery and administration costs. This fee is included in the daily vehicle rates.
*Apartment Style Kitchen Equipment
Includes quality plates, bowls and cups. Wine and drinking glasses. Superior cutlery and cooking utensils. Bottle/can opener, mixing bowls, colander, saucepans, frying pans, chopping board, gas kettle, electric jug, coffee plunger, toaster and tea towel.
*Freshly laundered linen and bedding
Includes pillow, pillowcase, sheet and towel per person and one doona (duvet) per bed.
Includes pegs, dustpan/brush, fire extinguisher, bucket/hose, broom, matches, ice cube tray, clothes hangers, toilet chemicals and floor safe in all vehicles. General equipment also includes starter items that are designed to provide the customer with some basic requirements as might be needed at the beginning of a hire, before the customer has had an opportunity to visit a supermarket and includes dishwashing detergent, disposable gloves, mosquito coils, bin liner, toilet roll, sponge, scourer, soap, tissues and conditioning shampoo sachets.
Customers on hires of 21 days or more in length (does not include multiple hires) may visit any maui location while on hire to have their vehicle detailed and oil and water checked. Please call ahead by a minimum of 48 hours for this service.
Stress Free Package
The Stress Free Package is AU$55 per day (maximum AU$2,750 per rental) and is payable in addition to the daily standard rate.
The Stress Free Package component includes:
- Vehicle Insurance - Liability Reduction Option*
- Unlimited Windscreen & Tyre Damage Cover
- Overhead & Underbody Damage Cover
- Extra Driver fees waived if applicable
- wifi (inc 1GB data)
- Single vehicle rollover cover
- Outdoor Table & Chairs
- Baby/Booster seat - on request (cannot be fitted in some vehicle categories)
- Linen Exchange
*Liability Reduction Option - reduces the liability from AU$7,500 to NIL.
Express Return Pack
For a $165 ($265 Cairns, Melbourne, Perth & Sydney) surcharge includes the following products:
-Return Gas Bottle Empty
-Return Fuel Tank Empty
-Toilet & Waste Water Emptying Service (Cairns and Melbourne, Perth & Sydney only)
-Express Key Return
(Simply return keys to the counter when returning a vehicle without any need to do vehicle checks. This service only applies where no vehicle damage has occurred while on hire)
This is only available when the Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package has been purchased.
Long Hire Discounts
For Rentals 21+ days 8% discount
*These discounts only apply off the 5-20 day rate and do not apply to the Stress Free Package.
For Your Protection - Vehicle Liability*
Personal injury is covered in most cases through Registration Third Party insurance. maui does not accept any liability for personal injuries sustained during the rental. Except where such loss or damage is caused by maui’s (or that of its employees) own negligence or breach of the maui Rental Agreement Terms and Conditions, maui does not accept liability for any loss or damage to any personal belongings or property of the Customer (or any person or entity related to the customer). maui strongly recommends that the customer takes out personal travel insurance to cover any injury or loss.
*In the USA, liability is referred to as the 'deductible'.
All vehicles are insured for damage to the vehicle or to the property of a Third Party. The hirer is responsible for the first AU$7,500 (“the liability”) of the cost of damage to Third Party property or to the rented vehicle, including single vehicle accident (does not include single vehicle roll over), windscreen and tyre damage, towing and recovery costs, theft, fire, break-in or vandalism with the exception of the ‘exclusions’. Where the damage is the customer’s fault, this also includes the cost of the daily rental for the period the vehicle is off fleet for accident repairs.
The liability is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be paid at the time of the accident report is completed, not at the completion of the rental. The liability will be refunded if Maui is successful in recovering the cost of the damages from the Third Party. Please note that Third Party claims can take months to resolve.
The liability applies in respect of each claim, not rental.
Please see the 'exclusions' section below, whereby all liability cover will be made void.
This AU$7,500 can be reduced in most circumstances, by the purchase of Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package (which includes LRO).
Liability Reduction Option (LRO)
The cost of LRO is AU$45 per day to a maximum charge of AU$2,250. This will reduce the liability fee to NIL.
NOTE: LRO is included in the Stress Free Package.
Please see the 'exclusions' section below, whereby all liability cover will be made void.
Tyre and Windscreen Damage Cover
Where a NIL liability is present unlimited windscreen and tyres will be covered for accidental damage.
Please see the 'exclusions' section below, whereby all liability cover will be made void.
The maximum public liability is $20,000,000, sub limits may apply. Please note that the maximum public liability may change during the course of the year for which these terms apply.
All liability cover will be made void if any of the following exclusions are breached:
1. Any damage caused by wilful misconduct (e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle) and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and negligence resulting in damage to the hired vehicle or third party vehicle/property.
2. Any loss or damage to personal belongings or property of the customer (or any person or entity related to the customer), except where such loss or damage is caused by maui’s (or that of its employees) own negligence or breach of the maui Rental Agreement Terms and Conditions Maui recommends the customer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they take out personal travel insurance.
3. Any damage where the customer is charge by local authorities for being careless, showing gross negligence or wilfulness in failing to abide by the local road rules, resulting in damage to the hired vehicle or third party vehicle/property.
4. Retrieving or recovering a vehicle, which may include, but is not limited to a vehicle that has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in anyway and/or has been abandoned.
5. Replacing keys, which have been lost or stolen, or retrieval of keys which have been locked in a vehicle.
6. Overhead and underbody damage to the vehicle however caused, except where Liability Reduction Option or the maui Inclusive Pack has been purchased.
7. Any single vehicle rollover except where the maui Inclusive Pack has been purchased.
8. Damage caused to the vehicle because total load (kg) has exceeded recommended load as stated in vehicle manual. Vehicles are not to be used for the purpose of transporting and haulage of goods other than what might be reasonably expected of a leisure rental.
9. Damage caused by drivers not identified on the rental agreement and/or drivers whose licence has been cancelled or suspended and/or drivers who have a licence that is classified as a learners or probationary licence.
10. Any damage caused to the vehicle due to the incorrect use of snow chains.
11. Any damage associated with the incorrect use of fuel (fuel being diesel or petrol), which includes Bio-Diesel which should not be used, or water or other contamination of fuel.
12. Any water related damage which includes, but is not limited to, vehicle submersion, contact with salt water, creek or river crossings, driving through flooded areas and beach driving.
13. The customer has fitted accessories (as provided by maui or otherwise) to the vehicle incorrectly or otherwise in a manner which causes damage to the vehicle, the accessories or any other vehicle or property.
14. Using the vehicle in contravention of any legislation or regulation controlling vehicular traffic.
Vehicle Security Deposit or Bond
Upon vehicle collection, a vehicle security deposit is required. The amount is determined by the Liability Reduction Option selected.
For security purposes, only a credit or debit card can be used for payment of bond. The credit or debit card holder must be present and able to sign for the vehicles security deposit upon vehicle collection. The credit or debit card holder is jointly and severally liable for any damage to the rental vehicle.Any type of prepaid travel card is not acceptable as a means to provide a vehicle security deposit.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic Credit cards are not accepted for Bond Payments. An electronic credit card is one where the numbers are not raised.
Debited bonds are subject to a 2% credit card administration fee in addition to the bond amount when the credit card used is either Visa credit or debit card or MasterCard credit or debit card or 2.8% for American Express. The credit card administration fees are subject to change.
The Liability Deposit is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge, if the card used to provide the Liability Deposit is a Visa credit or debit card or MasterCard credit or debit card, provided the Vehicle is returned undamaged. maui recommend that customers use a Visa credit or debit card or MasterCard credit or debit card for the Liability Deposit, as the credit card administration fee that applies when using American Express credit card is not refundable
If a Liability Reduction Option is not selected, the vehicle security deposit is AU$7,500 payable by credit or debit card.
The AU$7,500 is debited to the hirers credit or debit card when the vehicle is collected. For this reason it is important that the hirer have the funds available on the credit or debit card and that the amount does not excess the hirers daily withdrawal allowance available on the credit or debit card.
If Liability Reduction Option 1 has been taken the vehicle security deposit is AU$2,500.
The AU$2,500 is debited to the hirers credit or debit card when the vehicle is collected. For this reason it is important that the hirer have the funds available on the credit or debit card and that the amount does not excess the hirers daily withdrawal allowance available on the credit or debit card.
If the Liability Reduction Option is selected or the package booked is the Stress Free Package the vehicle security deposit is AU$250.
The AU$250 is taken as an authorization to the hirers credit or debit card when the vehicle is collected. An authorization simply records a figure against the hirers credit or debit card of AU$250 that Maui can then debit if required.
The vehicle security deposit is fully refundable including the credit or debit card surcharge if the card used to provide the vehicle security deposit is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the vehicle is returned on time, to the correct location, undamaged, with a clean interior and full fuel tanks (fuel being petrol or diesel) and gas bottle. Except where the customer has purchased LPG Gas Refill and/or Express return pack, failure to return the vehicle will full petrol or diesel tanks and/or a full LPG bottle will result in refill charges, which will be advised upon the return of the vehicle.
Maui reserves the right to retain an AU$250 cleaning fee if the vehicle is not returned in a clean conditions. This includes smoking related cleaning, as smoking is not permitted in the vehicle. The toilet and wastewater tank must be emptied prior to the return of the vehicle, or an additional AU$125 soiling fee will be retained.
For security purposes, only the hirers credit or debit card can be used for vehicle security deposits.
Exchange Rate/Currency Fluctuations
All credit and debit card transactions are conducted in Australian dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations and/or bank transaction fees there could be some variance in the amount refunded compared to the amount initially charged. Maui does not accept any liability for variances up or down.
Credit and Debit cards
The credit or debit card holder will be jointly and severally liable as a customer. Accepted credit cards are Visa credit or debit card or MasterCard credit or debit card and American Express. A non-refundable 2% administration fee will apply to all Visa credit or debit card or MasterCard credit or debit card transactions and 2.8% to American Express Cards. Credit card administration fees also apply to debited security deposits and only the hirers credit card is acceptable to use for the purpose of the vehicle security deposit.
The Liability Deposit is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge, if the card used to provide the Liability Deposit is a Visa credit or debit card or MasterCard credit or debit card, provided the Vehicle is returned undamaged. maui recommend that customers use a Visa credit or debit card or MasterCard credit or debit card for the Liability Deposit, as the credit card administration fee that applies when using American Express credit card is not refundable.
Credit Card Surcharge -Discovery Rentals
Discovery Rentals DO NOT CHARGE credit card fees if using a Visa or MasterCard, however American Express will incur a fee of 2.75% surcharge.
Personal and Company Cheques
Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted as payment for any balances due at the time of pick-up. If you wish to pay your rental to Discovery Rentals in advance you must advise us first and cheque must be received by 5 days prior to payment due date by posting to P.O Box 270 Springwood QLD 4127.
Maui will not honour calculation errors. Should a calculation error occur Maui will charge the shortfall.
Drivers Licence Requirements
A current and full motor vehicle drivers licence is required and must be produced upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign licence be in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by a current international driving permit (IDP) issued in the same country as the drivers licence was issued. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an international driving permit.
Drivers must be 21 years of age or over.
Additional Products & Services
To be requested at time of reservation or upon vehicle collection and paid by customer on day of vehicle collection:
- Outdoor Table* - AU$25 per rental
- Outdoor Chair* - AU$18 per rental
- Baby/Booster Seat* - AU$36 per rental
- Tent (4 Persons) - AU$67 per rental
- Satellite Phone - AU$20 per day plus call costs
- Awnings (if not already affixed) - AU$5 per day (max charge AU$80)
- First Aid Kit - AU$35 for purchase (in vehicle. If seal is broken customer is charged)
- Souvenir Road Atlas - AU$25 for purchase
- LP Gas Refill Fee - AU$38 per refill
- Heater/Fan - AU$16 per rental
- Esky - AU$23 per rental
- Portable Hand-Held Shower - AU$16 per rental
- Electrical Adaptor - AU$14 per rental
- Extra Doona Hire- AU$16 per item, per rental
- High Chair - AU$23 per rental
- Mobile Wifi* - AU$35 per rental
- Extra Driver - $2 per day (max Charge $30)
* Items are included in the Stress Free Package
The Bundle $10 per day (maximum charge $500)
The extras bundle includes the following:
Single vehicle rollover cover ... valued $100
Wifi including 1GB of data ...... valued $35
Extra Driver Fees ....valued $2 per extra driver, per day
Picnic Table .... valued $25 per rental
Picnic chairs (chairs per person travelling) .... $18 per rental, per chair
Baby/Booster seat,on request ..... $36 per rental, per seat
Portable Fan ....... $16 per rental
- Rental days are charged per calendar day. When calculating the number of day as a vehicle is rented, the day of pick-up is counted as day one of the rental. The day of the vehicles return is counted as the final day of the rental. vehicles are required to be collected and returned within business hours.
- When a rental moves from one rate season into the next, the calculation is based on both rates.
- Miminum rental periods are 5 days for the Ultimas and 7 days for all other vehicles.
- All one way hires are subject to increased minimum hire requirements.
- All rentals collecting between 20 December & 10 January will have a minimum hire requirement of 10 days.
- Minimum rental periods are subject to change during peak periods.
- Late pick up or early return of vehicles does not entitle the hirer to any refund of the unused portion of the rental.
- If a customer wishes to extend the rental whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorisation from maui (call 1300 363 800). The rental extension is subject to vehicle availability. The cost of an extended rental must be paid by credit card over the telephone on confirmation of the rental extension. The rate charged may not reflect the original rate booked. Failure to obtain authorisation will result in a daily fee of $150 in addition to the daily rate.
Customer Self Check
Please note that it is mandatory for all customers to complete our Customer Self Check In service.
Campervans can only be driven on sealed/bitumen roads. The only exceptions to this are well-maintained access roads of less than twelve kilometres to recognised campgrounds and well-maintained, recognised roads on Kangaroo Island (South Australia). Should a customer wish to travel on an unsealed road that is greater than twelve kilometres in length to access a recognised campground, special permission can be arranged pending road condition, weather and distance. Please contact Reservations to discuss.
Maui reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse raod or weather conditions, and the distance to nominated destinations in relation to the length of the hire period.
Should a customer breach the road restriction rules by taking a vehicle on an unsealed road or restricted road maui may impose a fee on the customer of $300 on each occasion that is identified by maui.
Change of Drop Off Destination
If the customer wishes to change the drop off destination, they must first obtain authorisation from the Reservations or Scheduling departments.
Subject to the change being approved, an additional charge of up to AU$750 may apply.
Cancellation and Amendments
You must put any request to Cancel or Amend in writing or we cannot action. The date of the email will determine the following Cancellation fees:
- If cancelled up to 91 days prior to pick = No Fee
- If cancelled from 90 to 22 days prior to pick-up = 20% or deposit paid
(whichever is greater)
- If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up = 20% or deposit paid
(whichever is greater) + $100
- If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up = 50% of Rental + $100
- If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show = 100% of Rental
- If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days and a No Show is considered as 100% Cancellation.
Amendments: If a bookings travel dates are amended within the cancellation fee period to be outside of the cancellation fee period and is subsequently cancelled, the cancellation fee for the original booking will apply.
$50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If rental is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit may not transferable.
Amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Any amendments within cancellation time period is subject to the supplier providing permission to amend the travel dates, or cancel the reservation and having to re-book.
Should a customer have more than one consecutive rental, they can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts off the daily vehicle rates. Details are on application.
One Way Rentals
One way rentals are available between all Maui branch locations
- Minimum rental for one way hires is 7 days
- A one way fee of AU$165 applies where pick up originates from Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart or Adelaide and returns to these locations. Should the hire originate or return to or from Darwin, Broome, Alice Springs or Perth the one way fee will be AU$250.
- The one way fee if applicable is charged per hire.
- Minimum rental period requirements are subject to change.
Rentals in Broome
An additional remote location fee of AU$750 applies to all rentals picking up or dropping off in Broome. Only one remote location fee is charged per vehicle. This is in addition to the one way fee if applicable. The fee applies per rental.
Transfers are at the customers own expense.
Hobart Airport Fee
An airport pick up fee of AU$100 per hire will apply for hires with pick up at Hobart Airport. This fee is subject to change and new airport charges may arise.
Infringements and Administration Fees
Maui reserves the right to charge the hirer for any speeding, toll way or parking fines and/or vehicle damage including Third Party property damage not reported on return of the vehicle. In addition to these costs, Maui reserve the right to charge for associated administration costs for processing fines (irrespective of liability) and/or all claims in the event of the customer not have a NIL liability. In addition to the costs associated per fine and/or claim, and administration fee of AU$60 will be applicable. This fee will be applicable per offence.
If the Customer continues to exceed a speed of 110km or continues to exceed the posted speed limit, as determined by the Customer repeatedly ignoring the warnings of the telematics system fitted into the Vehicle, Maui may impose a fee on the Customer in the amount of AU$300.
Customer Care On-Road Assistance
Any problems associated with the vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to Maui as soon as possible and within 24 hours in order to give Maui the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental. Failure to do so will compromise any claims for compensation. Maui does not accept liability for any claims submitted after this period.
PH: 1300 363 800 (toll free)
Repairs up to AU$200 may be effected without authorisation and will be reimbursed upon presentation of a receipt. For amounts over AU$200, Maui will need to be informed in advance. Repairs will be approved provided the customer was not directly responsible for the damage. Receipts must be submitted for any repair or the claim will not be paid.
Change of Vehicle
Should the vehicle booked by unavailable through unforseen circumstances, Maui reserves the right to substitute an alternate vehicle without prior notification and at no extra cost. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the hirer to a refund.
Vehicles cannot be requested by make or model, only by vehicle category.
Should the hirer decide to take a lesser vehicle than booked they will not be entitled to any refund.
Maui reserves the right to refuse any rental at its discretion.
No animals are permitted in our vehicles, excluding guide dogs.
Illustrations and text in any of our documentation, brochures or website are subject to change. Images are a representation only of the vehicle depicted. Variances in the vehicles offered for rental may occur due to substitutions made by Maui or modifications and/or upgrades to the vehicle design made by the manufacturer.