Bear Rentals Terms & Conditions
Valid for travel from 01 September 2016
This document contains a summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full detailed conditions refer to the rental agreement provided when the vehicle is collected. Please note all prices quote in this document are in Australian dollars. Rates and conditions are subject to change without notice.
Branches for Vehicle Collection & Return
(allow 1 hour for collection)
Some locations on request only
|Monday to Saturday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
Excess Reduction Options
|Cost per Day||Liability Fee||Bond Payable|
|Standard||Included in Rental||$7,500||$7,500|
Stress Free Includes - The Outback Package (reduces liability for towing and recovery from $7,500 to $0), Satellite Navigation (Only included with the Puma), up to 4 additional listed drivers free of charge & free windscreen cover.
Minimum driving age: 21* with full unrestricted license (*some European vehicles require you to be 25, so please advise us of your age so we can make sure we match you with the correct vehicle).
For Your Protection
Personal injury is covered in most cases through registration third party insurance. However, we strongly recommend that all people travelling in Australia take out personal travel insurance. Bear Rentals does not accept any liability for personal injuries sustained during rental.
Deposit is due upon booking. Balance of Payment is required 35 days prior to collection, and must be paid to Bear Rentals, they will be in contact with you to arrange final payment prior to your due date.
Credit Card Surcharge - Discovery Rentals
Credit card fees are payable when using Visa, Mastercard or AMEX as these are subject to change Find out the current rates for your card here
On or before pickup of the Vehicle you must pay a Security Deposit debited to your credit or debit card immediately. The Security Deposit is fully refundable to you provided you return the Vehicle/s undamaged and it you have complied fully with this hire contract, specifically, with clauses 20.1 and 20.3 under the heading entitled "Your return obligations" and provided the additional charges under clauses 16, 20.2, 20.4 and 20.5 are inapplicable
If the Customer does not take Liability Reduction Option 1, Option 2 the Security Deposit is AU$7,500 payable by the Customer’s credit card only. The amount will be debited from the Customer’s account immediately.
If Liability Reduction Option 1 has been taken the Vehicle Security Deposit is AU$5,000, payable by the Customer’s credit card only. The amount will be debited from the Customer’s account immediately.
If Liability Reduction Option 2 has been taken the Vehicle Security Deposit is AU$1000, payable by the Customer’s credit card only. The amount will be debited to the customer’s account immediately.
The Vehicle Security Deposit is fully refundable if the card used to provide the Vehicle Security Deposit is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the Vehicle is returned on time, to the correct location, undamaged, in a clean condition and with full fuel tanks (fuel being petrol, diesel and LPG gas) with the exception of the credit card surcharge.
Bear Rentals reserves the right to retain a $400 soiling fee if the Vehicle is not returned in a clean condition and free of mud and (in the case of a Vehicle) requires smoking-related cleaning.An additional $125 soiling fee will be retained if the toilet and waste water tank (if applicable) is not emptied prior to return of that Equipment; and
An amount equal to the Refill Charges will be retained if you fail to return the Vehicle with full petrol, diesel and/or LPG tanks, except to the extent you have purchased the pre purchase Gas Option for LPG tanks. If you have contributed to the breakdown, loss or damage to the Vehicle, the portion of the Rent applicable to the remainder of the Hire Period will be deemed to form part of the Security Deposit.
A full (non-probationary) resident country driver’s licence must be presented at the time of rental for each nominated driver. If the licence is not in English format, an international driver’s licence is also required
Drivers must be 21 years of age or over with full unrestricted license (*some European vehicles require you to be 25, so please advise us of your age so we can make sure we match you with the correct vehicle).
A) Rental days are calculated on a calendar day basis. When calculating the number of days the vehicle is rented, the day of pick-up is counted as day one of the rental, regardless of pick-up time. The day of the vehicle’s return is counted as the final day of the rental regardless of drop-off time.
B) Minimum rental periods are subject to change, and any such change will be notified to you prior to booking confirmation.
C) Minimum rentals are subject to itinerary/travel plans and subject to change accordingly
D) Late pick up or early return of the vehicle does not entitle the hirer to any refund of the unused portion of the rental.
Delivery & Return of the Vehicle
If you collect or receive the Vehicle and find that it is broken, damaged or defective, or not in a clean condition, or not with all the necessary gear, supplies and equipment, you must notify Bear Rentals within 24 hours after such collection or receipt of the Vehicle. If you do not notify Bear Rentals within this time period, the Vehicle is assumed to have been collected or received by you in good working order and condition and in a clean condition and with all the necessary gear, supplies and equipment
You must return the Vehicle to Bear Rentals in the same clean condition and good working order it was in when you received it, ordinary fair wear and tear excluded, on the return date, time and location set out in the Hire Schedule and with full fuel tanks (fuel being petrol, diesel and LPG gas) . If you do not properly clean the Vehicle, Bear Rentals will charge you a cleaning cost.
It is your responsibility to return the Vehicle during Ordinary Business Hours, except if you have requested, and Bear Rentals has agreed, to collect the Vehicle from you. You must obtain the prior approval of Bear Rentals if you wish to return the Vehicle outside Ordinary Business Hours. If you return the Vehicle outside Ordinary Business Hours Bear Rentals shall be entitled to charge a late drop-off fee of up to $300.
You must not change the drop-off destination from that specified in the Hire Schedule unless you have first obtained authorisation from Bear Rentals. Irrespective of the reason for the change in drop-off destination, an additional fee of up to $1,000 may be charged by Bear Rentals, in the amount notified to you at the time of approval of the change of drop-off destination and this charge is required to be paid immediately via credit or debit card.
Change of Drop-Off Destination
If the hirer wishes to change the drop-off destination, they must first obtain authorisation from the reservations centre. Subject to the change being approved, an additional charge of up to AU$1000 may apply, which will be notified to you at time of approval. The fee may apply in all cases irrespective of the reason for location change.
Subject to availability, you can extend the Hire Period to a later date, by first obtaining authorisation from Bear Rentals. The extra cost of an extended hire of the Vehicle must be paid by credit or debit card on confirmation of the rental extension . You also agree to pay to Bear Rentals other fees and charges specified under this Hire Contract relating to your hire of the Vehicle. If you fail to obtain authorisation for a rental extension, Bear Rentals may charge a late fee of $150 per day in addition to the Daily Rate.
One Way Rentals
One Way Rentals are available, subject to availability. Increased minimum days would apply. Fees applicable subject to change.
Should the hirer have more than one rental with Bear Rentals in a three month time frame, the bookings can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts.
Any unpaid permits or unpaid entry fees arising from your use of the Vehicle and any fines, levies, penalties and any other government charges arising out of your use of the Vehicle (each a “Penalty"); an administrative fee of $60 per Penalty for associated administration costs of Bear Rentals
All amendments are subject to approval by Bear Rentals. Amendments will be charged at a rate of $50 and is at the discretion of Bear Rentals. If a reservation collection, return location, vehicle type, collection point or return date(s) is amended prior to collection, the rate may be recalculated. Rate recalculations are based on the rate at the time of reservation or the new rate at time of amendment (whichever is higher). In the instance where an extension is made while on hire with Bear Rentals ,Bear Rentals will calculate the additional day’s charge at the applicable vehicle rate.
A) Vehicles cannot be requested by make or model, only by vehicle category.
B) Bear Rentals will endeavour to supply the vehicle category selected, however should the vehicle booked be unavailable through unforeseen circumstances, Bear Rentals will make every endeavour to find a suitable replacement vehicle. bear Rentals will reasonably determine what, if any, refund may be warranted if a vehicle substitution is required.
C) Should the hirer decide to take a lesser vehicle than booked, any refund, if any, is at the sole discretion of Bear Rentals.
D) Where Bear Rentals cannot provide a vehicle for a confirmed reservation,Bear Rentals liability is limited to a refund of the unused portion of the rental fee only.
Use of the Vehicle
The Customer agrees that, during the Rental Period, the Customer will not allow the Vehicle to be:
- Driven otherwise than in a prudent and cautious manner. A single Vehicle rollover is considered a breach of this condition. A single Vehicle rollover may include, but is not limited to, a Vehicle that has rolled, tipped or fallen over and this has caused damage to the side and/or roof area of the Vehicle. Customers who have purchased the 4WD Explorer Cover will have the cost of damage resulting from an accidental single vehicle rollover covered, providing there is no breach of this rental agreement;
- Driven by a person under the influence of alcohol or drugs or with a blood alcohol level in excess of that permitted by law;
- Left with the ignition key in the Vehicle while it is unoccupied;
- Damaged by:(i) Submersion in water (ii) Contact with salt water (iii) Creek or river crossing (iv) Driving through flooded areas (v) Beach driving
- Used for any illegal purpose or in any race, rally or contest;
- Used to tow any vehicle or trailer;
- Used to carry passengers or property for hire or reward;
- Used to carry more persons than is permitted by any Australian relevant road authority or detailed in the Vehicle manual or on the Vehicle or specified in this Agreement;
- Used to carry volatile liquids, gases, explosives or other corrosive or inflammable material and
- Used for the purpose of transporting and haulage of goods other than what might be reasonably expected of a leisure rental.
- Vehicles must not travel to the Defined Outback Areas except with the prior permission of Bear Rentals;
- Bear Rentals 4WDs are not permitted to travel on any beach or to be in contact with any salt water. Driving the vehicle on the beach or making contact with Salt Water will void all insurance. If any damage occurs to the vehicle during or after the customer is 100% liable for all repairs and/or recovery costs.
- Vehicles are not permitted at any time in or on the Prohibited Areas or outside Australia;
- Prohibited areas; Fraser Island,The Canning Stock Route, the Old Gunbarrel Hwy, the Lost City in Litchfield National Park, the Telegraph section of the road to Cape York, Boggy Hole (Finke Gorge National Park) and the Old South Road from Maryvale to Finke at any time. Travel to Cape York between the months of December to May.
- For safety purposes, Bear Rentals reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to restrict Vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions, and the distance to nominated destinations in relation to the length of the Hire Period. Bear Rentals will advise you on pick-up of any travel restrictions known at that time.
- It is up to you to monitor weather and road conditions once the Hire Period has started and to obey any instructions or warnings to do with road closures from local, state or federal authorities and governing bodies.
- In this clause the phrase "off-road" means driving conditions including but not limited to fire trails, beaches, sand, tracks, fields or paddocks.
Where you can go:Can be used off road but only on recognised tracks and trails as marked on Hema maps (not sure what this means please ask). Below are the off road tracks (Defined outback areas) that require our permission to drive on and may be restricted at certain times of the year, so please let us know your planned itinerary if you have any doubts.
Defined Outback Areas: Simpson Desert (recognised tracks and trails only), Strzelecki Track, Gunbarrel Highway, Cape York (recognised tracks and trails only), the Bungle Bungles, Oodnadatta Track, Birdsville Track, Tanami Track, the Plenty Highway, Gibb River Road, Burke Development Road from Chillagoe to Normanton, Savannah Way from Normanton to Borroloola, Finke Road (between Alice Springs and Oodnadatta), Central Arnhem Road and Arnhem Land in general.
Title of Vehicle
The Customer acknowledges that Bear Rentals retains title to the Vehicle at all times. The Customer shall not agree, attempt, offer or purport to sell, assign, sub-let, lend, pledge, mortgage, let on hire or otherwise part with or attempt to part with the personal possession of or otherwise deal with the Vehicle.
Bear Rentals is entitled to claim against you for loss, theft or damage to a Vehicle and such rights of Bear Rentals will arise (without limitation) if it
- has arisen as a result of your breach of a provision of this Hire Contract;
- has been caused or contributed to by your negligent act or omission;
- has arisen as a result of your use of a Vehicle in violation of any laws;
- has arisen as a result of a single vehicle roll over. A single vehicle rollover may include, but is not limited to, a vehicle that has rolled, tipped or fallen over and this has caused damage to the side and/or roof area of the vehicle.
- has been caused by a collision with an immovable object due to insufficient clearance;
- has arisen is as a result of your wilful misconduct;
- has arisen due to the use of snow chains on a Vehicle or private vehicle;
- has arisen due to any Vehicle or private vehicle which has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in anyway and/or has been abandoned;
- has arisen due to the total load (kg) has exceeded recommended load as stated in Vehicle or private vehicle manual;
- has arisen due to the towing speed for a Trailer, off-road caravan or camper trailer is exceeded;
- has arisen due to using the incorrect fuel in a Vehicle or a private vehicle;
- has been caused by your failure to use a Vehicle for its intended purpose or in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions or any instruction issued by Bear Rentals regarding its use;
- has been caused by the overloading of the Vehicle or any component thereof;
- is to tyres or tubes; i
- is to glass;
- is loss or damage to personal belongings;
- has arisen is as a result of your careless or wilful misconduct;
- is a cost or expense arising from retrieving or recovering any Vehicle, which has become bogged, submerged, 4 caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in anyway and/or has been abandoned;
- is a cost of replacing keys, which have become lost, stolen, or retrieval of keys, which have been locked in the Vehicle or the loss to the keys of any other locks relating to the security of Bear Rentals’ goods;
- is Overhead Damage and Underbody Damage to a 4WD Vehicle, including but not limited to any roof mounted accessories or items rented from Bear Rentals;
- is Overhead Damage and/or Underbody Damage to a Trailer;
- is a towing and/or vehicle recovery cost in excess of $2,000 from a 4WD only access road and tracks where permission from Bear Rentals is required before travelling;
- occurs whilst any Vehicle was being operated or driven by a driver not being a Nominated Driver and/or a driver that has a licence that has been cancelled or suspended and/or a driver who has a licence that is classified as a learners or probationary licence;
- occurs whilst you do not have comprehensive motor vehicle insurance on the private vehicle being used at that time and/or that private vehicle is not registered during the Hire Period;
- is damage howsoever caused to the awning affixed to a Trailer;
- any article or object is tied or carried on the roof section of a Trailer, off-road caravan or camper trailer;
- is Hull Damage to a Vessel caused by, but not limited to, running aground, striking a submerged object, leaving the Vessel moored, anchored or adrift unmanned.
- You authorise Bear Rentals to deduct from the Security Deposit any amounts due to Bear Rentals arising out of this Hire Contract.
If a bookings travel dates are amended within the cancellation fee period to be outside of the cancellation fee period and is subsequently cancelled, the cancellation fee for the original booking will apply. Cancellation fees apply as follows:
FREE cancellation on all bookings up to 45 days prior to pick-up
- A) If cancelled 44 to 30 days prior to pick-up: $100 admin fee
- B) If cancelled from 20 to 29 days prior to pick-up: 40% of Gross Rental plus $100 admin fee
- C) If cancelled 7 to 19 days prior to pick-up: 60% of Gross Rental plus $100 admin fee
- D) If cancelled 1 to 6 days prior to pick-up: 75% of Gross Rental plus $100 admin fee
- E) If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show: 100% of Gross Rental
- F) If Vehicle is returned early: No refund available
Maintenance & Repairs
Bear Rentals will reimburse you for expenditure up to $200 reasonably incurred in rectifying any mechanical failure to the drive train and engine of a Car. For repairs costing over $200, Bear Rentals will need to be informed and confirm the repair in advance. Repairs will be approved and reimbursement, where applicable, will be granted provided the Customer was not responsible for the damage. In all cases, invoices and receipts must be submitted for any repair or the claim will not be paid.
On Road Assistance
Any problems associated with a Vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to Bear Rentals within 24 hours in order to give Bear Rentals the opportunity to rectify the problem during the Hire Period. Failure to do so may compromise any claims for compensation. Subject to clause 28.2(Nothing in this Hire Contract excludes, restricts or modifies any right or remedy, or any guarantee, term, condition or warranty implied or imposed by any legislation which cannot lawfully be excluded or limited. Where any legislation implies or imposes a non-excludable guarantee, term, condition or warranty in relation to this Hire Contract, Bear Rentals limits your remedy for breach of such provision to), Bear Rentals reserves the right to not accept liability for any claims submitted after this period.
Please contact Bear Rentals on: 1300 46 2327 for mechanical and breakdown enquiries. During Ordinary Business Hours this phone number can also be used for Vehicle interior enquiries (e.g. fridge).
Personal & Company Cheques
Personal and company cheques will not be accepted as payment for rentals at the time of pick-up. Personal or company cheques are not acceptable as the vehicle security deposit.
Release and Indemnity of Bear Rentals
You release Bear Rentals and its Associates from any liability to you (regardless of who is at fault), for any loss or damage incurred by you by reason of rental, possession or use of the Vehicle. You hereby indemnify and shall keep indemnified Bear Rentals and its Associates against any claims, demands and expenses (including legal costs) incurred or sustained by them or any of them by reason of your use and/or possession of the Vehicle. Any indemnity required of you shall not operate to indemnify Bear Rentals in respect of any negligent act by Bear Rentals.